Starting on July 10th, you can vote for me, The Get Fit Diva, in the Smart Balance Battle of the Bloggers for my Homemade Macaroni and Cheese recipe! I am excited that I was invited to participate and create a recipe using the Smart Balance Blended Butter sticks, a gluten-free product that contains no hydrogenated oils or partially hydrogenated oils, and are 0g trans fat naturally!
This heart-friendly macaroni and cheese recipe was adapted from my late Grandma Tootsie’s soul food classic. I hope you enjoy this comfort dish as much as me and my family does! Vote today! When you vote, you have a chance to win a prize pack from Calphalon & free Smart Balance products!
Disclosure: I have received consideration from Smart Balance for one free Smart Balance product and a chance to participate in the Smart Balance Battle of the Bloggers recipe contest.
6 tbsps of Smart Balance Blended Butter Sticks
3 ½ cups of 2 percent reduced fat milk
½ cup all-purpose flour
10 oz. cheese, mild cheddar low fat, grated
10 oz. cheese, extra sharp cheddar low fat, grated
½ cup of sharp and extra sharp low fat cheddar blend, grated
1 pound of pasta, cavatappi, cooked al dente
Dash of freshly ground pepper to taste
Dash of Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the Smart Balance blended butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When it starts to bubble, whisk the flour into the melted Smart Balance spread (making a roux) stirring for one minute. Slowly whisk in the milk into the roux. Stir until it just starts to boil (mixture will thicken).
- Stir in the extra sharp cheddar cheese and sharp cheddar cheeses. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir until completely melted (about four to five minutes). .
- In a large bowl, mix the pasta and cheese sauce until blended.
- Pour the pasta and cheese sauce into a three quart greased baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese blend evenly over the pasta.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Serve hot and gooey. ENJOY!