I am writing this as we get to ready to embark on our first REAL road trip. I’m not talking a two or three easy like Sunday morning road trip but eight hours plus in our SUV with the boys and Mister with the promise of rest and relaxation when all is said and done. Did I mention this is our last trip before we turn this SUV in on for the end of the lease? Bittersweet but not really because now we can look at other SUVs like the Kia!
The Kia Sorento would be the perfect match for my active family. The Sorento is a midsize SUV at a compact-crossover price point with a luxurious cabin and the trunk space we need (for my yoga mat and gym bag, the boys’ Lacrosse, football, and other sports gear, and groceries and…you get the point!).
When planning this trip, I left my Type A tendencies to the wayside and we are pretty much flying by the seats of our pants this trip. GASP! Yes, for real! I did however think of 5 tips to follow on our “Ultimate Family Road Trip”:
1. Limit our digital consumption – Step away from the tablets, cell phones, and other portable digital devices! This road trip is about disconnecting from work and re-connecting with each other. Such a perfect time to do it before the boys start third and sixth grade and my husband’s work and travel schedule (as well as my own) ramps back up.
2. Open our eyes and minds to new experiences – We are pretty well-travelled but we are going to open ourselves fully to local culture, arts, and cuisine on our drive down South. I will personally step out of my norm like last summer when I went on EVERY single ride in Disney and Universal Studios despite being afraid of heights and suffering from motion sickness. I still cannot believe I survived!
3. Plan a Do-Nothing Day – Once we get down there we aren’t doing that day or the next day but simply decompress and just BE.
4. Create the Ultimate Road Trip Play List – Each family member is creating a 90 minute playlist of their favorite jams to make the “Ultimate Road Trip Play List” and during that ninety minutes, that family member will be in their own musical nirvana. No one shall fast forward, switch, or whine about that family member’s music selection!
5. Be active – Yes, we will be having lots of fun lounging pool side but we also need to be active by swimming, walks on the beach, and some football or frisbee matches!
Sadly, this will be our last voyage in our truck as our lease is up shortly after we get back from our voyage. And yes we are looking at Kia for our next ride!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.