Happy New Year to all my Get Fit Divas! It is out with the old and and in with the new! I’m not the type to make resolutions but I do make goals.
Like celebrity trainer Tracy Anderson says, “Resolutions aren’t one size fits all”.
With the help of Leonie Dawson‘s 2014 Life and Biz planner, I spent two days reflecting, planning, and dreaming. Three words: it was amazing. Many of my dreams included improving the Get Fit Diva blog (more awesome guest contributors, giveaways, challenges, and inspiration!) and health and fitness becoming one of my top priorities.
In 2014 I WILL:
1. Focus on my family’s health – As a mom of two growing boys, I want to be a role model to them when it comes to eating and exercising. They are both athletes and with a busy basketball and lacrosse season happening right now, I want to give them the fuel they need for flight. I have started cleaning the pantry and started to implement more fruits, veggies, whole grains, and exercise into ALL of our diets. I am adopting a more Flexitarian approach to my own diet and will focus on little to no processed foods, less meat, and more cleaner eating and will continue tracking using Weight Watchers (and their new Simple Start).
2. Try Soulcycle, Sleekify, Barre and CrossFit – I was intimidated by these classes but I want to try a full class or course–not an intro frou-frou fun class for shits and giggles but a full throttle all-out class. I think I am strong enough and ready for it. I also want to (re)connect with local Sweat Pink Ambassadors, Blacks Girls Run, and other groups. Wish me luck!
3. SWEAT more! – Maybe I am sweat-challenged but I rarely sweat, I just glisten. The only time I sweat is when I am running outdoors or playing tennis in the summertime. Am I not working out hard enough? I think I’m not pushing myself enough or not taking the right classes. Today, I purchased a Polar FT7 watch because apparently my Nike FuelBand isn’t doing what I need it to do. I want to see SWEAT!
— The Get Fit Diva (@thegetfitdiva) January 1, 2014
4. Get thee to thy at-home workouts – In the past year, I have amassed quite the at-home arsenal of DVDs, workout gear, and I even have games for the Kinect. When I’m not feeling like going to the gym or it’s cold, I need to re-train my body to work out at home. I just purchased the new Black Girls Workout 2! DVD and I’m super enthused to try it out. This mother and daughter team are the BUSINESS!
5. Work on my fitness fashion – When I look good, I feel good and workout harder. I seriously have workout gear from ten years ago that is just flat and uninspiring (read: doesn’t fit AND is grungy?!) so this past week I went on a bit of a spree. I bought two Damelife tanks (a lifestyle movement I LURVE and proud to be a part of it), a Squats No Shots tee from Gymnetics, a new pair of trainers, and three new Under Armour tees (one is Wonder Woman–if that isn’t encouraging I don’t know what is!). Instead of buying that handbag I’ve been coveting, I am investing in my workout apparel!
6. Amp up personal training to 2x a week – I love my personal trainer Tara and seeing her sporadically wasn’t cutting it. Coupled with the holidays and a manic work schedule, my body felt the lack of consistent training. I am back with training with her twice a week, cardio 4-5 times a week (combination of at-home training, in-studio Zumba, RPM, yoga, and kickboxing). I need to be more social anyway and the gym is the perfect opportunity to do that.
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin. — Mother Teresa
7. Decide what the heck I’m doing with Zumba – Am I going to teach or not? It was part of my fitness bucket list to become certified but staring at that pretty little certificate isn’t going to do not-a-damn-thing. I love going to Zumba classes and Zumba toning but the thought of creating choreography stifles me. There isn’t enough time in my day! Maybe I just have TOO much going on right now to focus on this.
8. Become a certified ACE Health Coach – The ACE Health Coach certification books are on my desk. Time to solidify a study plan and date to take the test!
9. See what’s up with my gain/loss rollercoaster – I seriously gain and lose the same ten pounds every two weeks. I have battled my weight pretty my whole adult life and still don’t understand how this happens. I need to see my doctor on how/why this happens. Is it my thyroid? Imbibing too much? Too many bad carbs? Something needs to give!
10. NO FAT TALK OR SHAMING! – My journey started because I was chasing a number and chasing a size. I’ve been that number and size before and was I happy? No. There were other underlying conditions for why I wasn’t happy. On Get Fit Diva, I will never fat shame or engage in fat talk. Our bodies are different! Don’t expect me to be like that Fit Mom and spout some “No Excuses” ‘ish because I believe you never know what someone else is going through whether it be illness, plateau, depression, grief, caring for an ill parent/child/spouse, etc. and THAT is why they don’t have it in them to be further on their healthier living journey. Being FIT, to me, isn’t about BMI or the size of your clothes–it’s about being more active, making better food choices, and LOVING your body. I am human (and flawed and hormonal a week of the month!) so I will have my moments when I am hyper critical of myself but at the end of the day I just want to be HAPPY, FIT, FABULOUS, and HEALTHY. I also hope the same for you!
What are your fitness goals for 2014?