I was a bit skeptical but since I have been eating egg white omelette and steel cut oatmeal with blueberries on REPEAT, I wanted to try something new. I love hot cereal but a cold version…I wasn’t completely sold!
PEANUT OATMEAL COOKIE DOUGH OVERNIGHT OATS (originally from PB Fingers)
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk) + another splash in the morning
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (Honey or stevia will also work)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds (Do not omit or the oats will not thicken)
- Optional toppings: Honey roasted peanuts, fresh berries, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, etc.
I had never tried PB2 and ordered it from Amazon. The other items were purchased at my local supermarket.
- Stir all ingredients together in a bowl
- Allow the bowl to sit overnight in the refrigerator
- In the morning, add a splash of milk and stir everything together again
- Top with honey roasted peanuts, additional peanut butter, fresh berries, etc.
It didn’t look too appetizing but I had to keep telling myself that it would thicken overnight to the promised “cookie dough” I would eat in the morning.
Here’s the end result. Is it a coincidence that it is in a Darth Vader cup because I had to pull a serious Jedi mind trick to eat it?
The verdict: It was ok but not great. The texture left something to be desired and I couldn’t get past that it was cold. I know, my own problem! However the taste was good–peanut buttery, sweet, and filling. Would I make it again? I will and this time I’ll add some of the recommended toppings!
Have you ever tried Overnight Oats? How do you prepare yours?