Happy August! Happy Friday! This summer is zooming by and I’ve been healthier, happier, and more active than many summers past. I am extremely thankful and August brings two amazing and much-needed vacays for my family. Here’s the GET FIT DIVA’s FRIDAY FIVE!
1. Join me as I help #fightstroke with this amazing Virtual 5K/10K from Dani over at Weight Off My Shoulders. Dani runs in honor of her stroke victims, her grandparents. She truly is an inspiration for all runners and all of us on our healthier living journeys!
[Tweet ” Join me as I help #fightstroke! Virtual 5K/10K from @IrishEyes1982: ht.ly/zQpHW“]
Here’s the deets (per Dani):
A virtual run or walk means you do the 5k (3.1 mile) or 10k (6.2 mile) “race” at your leisure between July 27 and August 3. Map out your own route, get your friends together or jump on the old trusty treadmill. Your call.
This “race” is open to anyone – all over the world.
I will provide a race bib that you can print out and fix to your shirt (if you want).
EVERYONE that completes the “race” will receive a Finisher’s Medal in the mail from me. YAY! How cool is that? I know one of my favorite parts.
But you may be asking: “Dani! How much will this fun cost me?” or “What is my entry fee going to?”
Well, each participant will be making a $25 donation. The proceeds raised will be going towards Tedy’s Team and the American Stroke Association. In the past two years, I’ve raised over $15,500 to help fight Stroke and raise awareness.
So register now–you can run this weekend for a GREAT cause!
2. Working on your ab muscles? Planks are one of the most effective moves to strengthen your abs. Here are five plank variations you need to try from fitness expert Kristin McGee. Switch things up with these variations that target other muscles, too. Challenge yourself!
3. I am excited to announce that I was chosen as an Enell Ambassador (squeal!). Expect awesomeness to come! Enell is my go-to sports bra. I love being “supported” by such an amazing brand that provides well-endowed women the opportunity to participate in active lifestyles by offering state of the art, high quality performance wear!
4. Does living the 80/20 way work for weight loss? I practice it with Weight Watchers. I like to go out socially and enjoy a cheat meal (yesterday it was a Lime Griller chicken sandwich and Parmesan fries and a Skinny ‘Rita). I believe knowing I can indulge once or twice a week while being active and eating healthy (eating clean) is like playing a Jedi mind trick on myself. My days of rigid, limiting diets are over. It is about balance and moderation for me! Like Supermodel Miranda Kerr says, “Food is my friend and consistency is key. I believe that everything in moderation is best.”
[Tweet “Like Supermodel Miranda Kerr says, “Food is my friend and consistency is key. I believe that everything in moderation is best.” “]
5. What do you think of Under Armour’s new advertising and #womanifesto”? I believe active women should be celebrated and we need brands to promote positive body image so kudos Under Armour! Here’s Under Armour Founder and CEO Kevin Plank discussing the launch the company’s largest ever global marketing campaign for women and opening stores around the globe: