After saving diligently all this year, we are currently going through a major home remodel (finishing our 1000 square foot basement) and also trying to be financially FIT while doing this during the holidays. You may think we are cray-cray for doing this during the holiday season but we are hoping to do even more to our home in 2015! It’s so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the holiday season and lose sight of the goals we’ve set to help us achieve financial peace of mind.
How did we finally find financial peace of mind? It wasn’t always like this but having financial peace of mind has helped me grow as a woman, a wife, and a mother. I remember times when our priorities were not concentrating on an emergency fund, major home improvements, or avoiding the January “financial hangover” when holiday shopping is over and New Year’s Resolutions kick in. We now understand the importance of these things and though I often write about and stress eating healthy, moving more…we also have to have a financial peace of mind for today and tomorrow. Here are five tips we used on our tip to financial peace of mind (ahhh….Zen!):
1. Paying bills on time – I wish I could say we are entirely debt-free…yet. We are no longer a slave to a paycheck or a credit card and this makes us feel blissful.
2. Monitor spending – We both still suffer from impulse spending but by putting a cap on the amount we could spend has stopped the financial hemorrhaging.
3. Set up auto-pay – We have had auto pay for years but sometimes we would turn it off when our pursestrings became tight. Now, we never turn off auto pay and make sure the money is there.
4. Weekly or monthly financial reviews – Since the basement remodel, having both boys on plan with orthodontia (one in braces, one in a palate expander and braces next week), and holiday shopping, we have been diligent about going over our expenses weekly instead of monthly. No, it’s not some long drawn-out sob-fest about how I can’t get the sconces I want but rather going over the unexpected expenses that come with home improvements, orthodontia, and LIFE.
5. Hold a FINANCIAL DREAM talk with your partner/spouse: My husband and I both have lofty aspirations of retiring early, having our sons’ college tuition saved, and living a financially successful life. It was so important to have this FINANCIAL DREAM session with my husband–to see where his head at, where I’m coming from, and how we can make our dreams a reality.
This is one holiday season we are not stressed out!
While you may have gifts, greetings and get-togethers on the brain, it’s important not to lose sight of your financial goals. I encourage you to join me in Capital One’s 360 Black Friday Sale.Capital One 360 products are designed to save consumers time and money. This is NOT your regular Black Friday Sale. This is a gift you can bank on. This holiday, to encourage consumers to stay on track with their finances, Capital One 360 is decking the halls with deals you can bank on, including new account bonuses, referral bonuses and closing cost credits. All of Capital One 360’s Black Friday Sale deals are designed to encourage consumers to keep their finances top of mind. In addition to taking advantage of deals on banking, brokerage and mortgage products yourself, you can give your friends and family the gift of financial peace of mind by encouraging them to take advantage of the deals and refer them to the sale. If they sign up, you may be eligible for a $40 referral bonus.
What else makes Capital One 360 great? From online to their mobile app, Capital One 360 is with customers 24/7. Capital One 360 Checking and 360 Savings are fee-free and earn interest. Also, Capital One 360 offers remote deposit capture with Capital One 360’s CheckMate tool and makes savings a snap with the Automatic Savings Plan.
Once the Thanksgiving celebrations are done, be sure to add Capital One 360’s Black Friday Sale to your shopping list. Visit http://clvr.li/cap1bfs to give yourself the lasting gift of financial peace of mind by taking advantage of Capital One 360’s deals on banking, brokerage and mortgage products. Let stay financially FIT together!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.