Happy Friday! ::attempts cartwheel and yells Superstar:: This week has been amazing. I had some much-needed R&R with my family at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort before our truly hectic summer schedules begin including camps galore, business trips, conferences…so it was great to get away! But now it’s back to the grind! On vacation, I still kept up on my fitness game. I followed my pre-training for my half-marathon with a training run and took a Zumba class at the resort. Plus while staying on the 3000 acre resort, we got tons of walking in which was needed to help burn off all the vacay food and drinks!
What a beautiful resort gym and spa! #Zumba is tomorrow AM so this morning I took my new @mizunorunning Wave Enigma 5 on a treadmill pre-training #halfmarathon session followed my upper body strength training! Super comfy throughout and I noticed the shock absorption with every step. So far, so GREAT with this neutral #running shoe–this may my half marathon shoe. #Enigma5 #MilesChangeYou #fitfluential (This is a #sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mizuno. The opinions and text are all mine.) #fitfluential #ffcheckin #running #run #wod #love #gym #gymlife #fitmom #fitfam A photo posted by Aliah, founder of GET FIT DIVA (@getfitdiva) on
While we were away, there was so many inspiring and motivating stories that touched me (and so many). I wanted to share them with my GET FIT DIVAs and #5 in some surprising news!
1. The ESPN Body Issue came out this week! When I saw Amanda Bingson on my Facebook timeline in all her strong glory I gasped and immediately shared the image on my FB page. THIS is what we need. Images of women athletes of all body types, sizes, backgrounds that are just doing the darn thing and inspiring and motivating young girls, women, and men. I wish I would have seen more images like Amanda growing up. I always felt like my body type never fit in and it made me question my participation in sports like cheerleading and softball. Athletes DO come in all shapes and sizes! I love her beauty, honesty, and that she is such a total bad-ass!
STRONG. AMAZING. BEAUTIFUL. “I’ll be honest, I like everything about my body…whatever your body type is, just use it.” – Amanda Bingson
2. It wasn’t just Amanda Bingson that made the ESPN Body Issue. Luckily, I have the Next Issue app so my grubby little fingertips were able to read the magazine. It was page after page of inspiration, hard work, and beauty.
3. I haven’t played soccer in years but my younger son loves it so as a family we hunkered down and watched the U.S Women’s Soccer team take on and defeat Japan. This morning they were on Good Morning America before their ticker-tape parade and I couldn’t help but feel such pride and respect. These ladies rock my socks off! Check out this awesome montage where you can relive the USWNT’s World Cup win!
4. Women’s Health Magazine announced the finalists for 3rd Annual “Next Fitness Star” Competition and these women are incredible! After receiving thousands of submissions across the country from talented and dynamic personal trainers, Women’s Health has chosen the top five finalists who appear on the flip cover of the July/August issue and compete for their own fitness DVD contract. The winner will be selected by a combination of a celebrity judging panel including NBC’s Today host Natalie Morales, NBC’s Today fitness and lifestyle correspondent and ACE-certified personal trainer Jenna Wolfe, Extreme Weight Loss’s celebrity trainers Chris and Heidi Powell, Women’s Health Editor-in-Chief Amy Keller Laird and reader / fan votes. The winner will be revealed live, exclusively onToday in August 2015. You know I will be watching! Congratulations to the finalists: Nikki Metzger, Dina Juve, Rachel Nicks, Jana Hare, and Christine Bullock! Voting is open!
5. Anddddd because I need some blogger inspiration, some women power, and some QT with my online and IRL blogger boos, I registered last night for BlogHer ’15!!! Yes #Blogher15!
This will be my second Blogher and I really don’t think I could enough out of it the last time they were in NY. As a new blogger, I was overwhelmed (read: deer in headlights). But now that I have a few conferences under my belt AND have even spoken at one, I think I’m good! I am excited for keynotes from Ava DuVernay, Christy Turlington Burns, and an important #blacklivesmatter conversation. THIS is what my soul needed!
Will I see you at Blogher ’15? If you will be there, I hope we can connect, hug it out, take a selfie, and revel in all the experts among us!