2015 went by in a blur. It seems like I just had my big New Year’s Eve bash where some of my closest friends and our families rang in the New Year and here I am prepping for another stellar event to bring in the New Year and 16 for 2016.
This year was incredible! Lots of family time, watching my boys grow and excel academically and in sports and just as overall awesome young men, trips to St. Thomas, St. John, Bahamas, Florida, California, crushing fitness goals by running 5ks, 10k, and a half marathon, celebrating my husband’s milestone birthday with a Star Wars surprise birthday party, and getting it in the gym.
But there is more to be done..so much more to be done so here is my 16 for 2016 for myself and GET FIT DIVA. 16 things I dream, aspire, and hope to accomplish in the next 12 or so months so I can lead my happiest and healthiest life.
- Work with awesome brands to make GET FIT DIVA bigger and badder – This year I signed on to be an Ambassador with Premier Protein, ENELL Sports Bras, Bloomingdale’s and American Heart Association. These continued and new partnerships will allow me to grow GET FIT DIVA into the community I envision. I can’t wait to host more events, meet-ups,
- Launch THE FERVENCY – This is my passion project and years in the making. Formerly known as my blog PR Diva, The Fervency is a collective for women in social media, PR, and tech to live their most happiest, multi-passionate, and healthiest lives. As a communications professional, I have heard so many gripes AND successes from women in my field with one commonality–finding the time and energy and will to follow more than just their professional passions.
- Pursue my Spin Certification – One of my first fitness loves is spin. One of my favorite classes of yesteryore was Spin and Pump. I want to re-create that class as my own. 45 minutes of a challenging spin class followed by 30 minutes of weight training. When I was taking that class, my body was strong healthy and at its prime. I want to get back to that and instruct others.
- LET GO of the negative – This year I plan on releasing the negative. I let people rent space in my head and let their words boomerang around in my mind.
“You are such a narcissist for taking pictures in the mirror” – older woman at gym witnessing my smiling and happy post-Zumba selfie
“Your hair dominates the room.” – one of my in-laws referring to my kinky, curly hair
“You do yoga?”
“My children are so beautiful with their blonde hair.”- said while looking disapprovingly at my brown sons with their brown curls
I need to just let it go. People are going to say and do stupid shit. People want to steal your joy. It is up to me to let it go and not let it affect my psyche and keep living my best and most fabulous life.
5. Delve into Pinch of Yum – My food photography and overall photography has jumped leaps and bounds since I started GET FIT DIVA but I want to continue creating great recipes and take awesome food photography. So I’ll be reading and learning tips and tricks as well as attending photography workshops.
6. Collaborate more with bloggers – I love love love my fellow online content creators and I have a wish list of influencers I want to collaborate with. I also launched GET FIT DIVA on the Week to spotlight inspiring women that are living healthy and happy.
7. Become Zumba Plate certified AND start teaching Zumba – Did you know I was a Zumba certified instructor? I am but now is the time to find a steady, teaching position (once a week) and finish my Zumba Plate certification course.
8. SLEEP – I go through extreme bouts of insomnia. There will be weeks when I only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night and wonder why I feel and look like crap. However when I make a conscious decision to un-plug and go to sleep by 11pm. I feel like a million bucks. It isn’t rocket science. My body needs sleep and it is time to listen.
9. Journal often – The Mister bought me the entire Danielle LaPorte bundle and I am so excited to start journaling every day. As a tween and teen, journaling got me through some heavy times and some good times as well. I do well with expressive writing and I also want to try those adult coloring books.
10. Let go, let in, travel light – I am looking forward to another year of travel. With London coming up and plans for Florida to visit family and hopefully Australia ::fingers crossed:: I also want to road trip with the boys and explore more of the Jersey shore, Philly, Boston, and Maine. I foresee some camping in the future.
11. Be smarter about my social media consumption – Social media is a big part of my career but disconnecting from time to time and limiting my social media consumption needs to be a large part too. Too many hours sucked into Pinterest, Instagram, Periscope, Twitter, Facebook (the ultimate time suck) that I feel like I need one of those timer app extensions.
12. Continue DIY projects – In the next few weeks, I’ll be showcasing my DIY projects on GET FIT DIVA. Yes, we purchased a money pit. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve seen some of the progress in 2015 alone but I’ll show you how we created the barn doors of my dreams and a man cave fit for my King, finished a 800 square foot basement, made a home office that allows me to be me. We also refreshed three 80s-style builder basic bathrooms for under $3,000 into a great powder room, a Zen master bath, and a cool comics inspired bathroom for my sons. I’m talking new vanities, paint, fixtures…we balled hard on a budget! A big part of my healthy living journey is being surrounded and inspired in a home with things I loved, made, or created not a house. What’s next this year? I want to tackle my kitchen, master closets, and backyard.
13. Races, walks, hikes – I’m planning my 2016 calendar of runs, walks, hikes…please let me know of any cool events too! I want to also try new workouts like barre, Vixen workout…the world is my oyster.
14. Find a new gym – When the old isn’t working, you try something new. I am on a quest for a new gym experience and I think I may have found it. ::fingers crossed:: I will continue with hot yoga at the studio but I want to find a gym family. A gym where I really feel like I belong.
15. Become (even more) obsessed with my life – I came across a quote that said if you aren’t obsessed with your life, change it. I love my life. Spending time with my husband (we will celebrate 14–yes fourteen–years of marriage this year), my sons (really, I have two ridiculously amazing kids) and leading a multi-passionate life gives me so much joy. I am loving my thirties as I am much more grounded, confident, and excited about life.
16. Start every day with a compliment and start a gratitude jar – For too many years, I hated what I saw in the mirror and didn’t realize how blessed I am. Starting the day with kind words and filled a gratitude jar filled with good things that happened over the year will help in my healthy living journey.