View and ideas expressed in the blog post are those of the author and are not necessarily the view and opinions of the American Heart Association.
Life is a huge juggling act—between hectic work days, school and extracurricular activities, and other obligations it is hard to make time for physical activity in our daily schedules. Making time for physical activity, is important to make sure our kids grow up fit and healthy. The American Heart Association recommends that healthy children, age 2 and older, participate in an at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity every day. Children who meet this goal will find it easier to maintain a healthy weight as they work to prevent heart disease and stroke. By making exercise a family affair, we are not only showing our children that we care about their health, but we care about our own health, as well. Here are five ways to get your kids off the couch and keep your family active all year round!
5 Tips On Keeping Your Family Active All Year Round
- Make Physical Activity a Priority – An hour a day of physical activity sounds like a lot but I’m a big believer that the family that is active together, stays together! Local gym memberships, playing in the park, seasonal snowboarding and skiing passes, and even nights out bowling and sessions at the indoor trampoline trumps being on the couch.
We also schedule family races and runs throughout the year.
Of course, we love our movie nights but we also love being active and a little friendly competition. If we do have a movie night, we make sure to break it up with some pop-a-shop basketball action in our basement, playing an interactive game, or having a dance-off!
2. Find Ways To Be Active – Just like an appointment, schedule in ways to keep the whole family active. Taking a walk after dinner, riding bikes or shooting hoops in the driveway are great ways to be active together. Encouraging our sons to participate in school sports like lacrosse, basketball, and soccer keeps them active as well.
3. Choose Toys That Promote Physical Activity – Old school toys like jump ropes, skateboards, roller-skates, and kites are great ways to encourage physical activity. Stock up on sports equipment like soccer balls and basketballs so you can take the fun to your backyard or park.
4. Give Back To Mother Earth – The best part of being active is that you can give back by doing so. Participating in a river clean-up is a great family physical activity. Planting a garden or taking care of your yard is another great reason to get outside. What better way to fuel our physical activity and encourage healthy eating habits than food from our own garden?
5. Make Chores a Family Affair – As my sons get older, so does their list of chores but even at a young age, kids can help around the house and stay active while doing so. Whether it is helping out with laundry (and having fun while sorting), raking leaves, or helping out on home improvement projects, we aren’t just being active together but taking care of our home and our health.
What ways do you keep your family active and healthy?
For additional resources to help inspire us and to provide ideas for incorporating better healthy choices into our daily routines, visit the American Heart Association’s Healthy Living page or their Pinterest page.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of American Heart Association and The bLink Marketing Network. The opinions and text are all mine.