When I woke up this morning and decided to write this blog post with the longest blog post title EVER, I felt accomplished, excited, and rejuvenated. Never did I think I could participate in such a challenge but when you are in a need of a major RESET, you do drastic things! JJ Smith’s 10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse Challenge is all the rage on social media and after seeing so many great results, the sense of community, and how this can jumpstart weight loss, I decided to try it so I could feel better physically, mentally, and spiritually.
First of all the book is an easy read and has the recipes you need for the first ten days and beyond. JJ Smith is a nutritionist and certified weight-loss expert (you might have seen her on the Steve Harvey Show). She is in her forties and looks AMAZING. Her green smoothie recipes are made up of super-nutrients from leafy greens and fruits and are super filling. All in all, the green smoothie challenge was a good experience. Here’s what I learned:
- I can survive WITHOUT coffee – I have not one but two coffee makers in my house so you could say I love coffee. Every morning, I have to have my coffee. But during this cleanse I had to say goodbye and I didn’t miss it. Instead I had Yogi tea. On Day 3, I did have a withdrawal headache but I pushed through it. I slept better than I have in years and when I woke up at 5am, I was able to power through without feeling like I needed a nap.
- I didn’t miss meat as much as I thought – The past few months I have had a meh reaction to chicken and steak. Seafood is whole ‘nother story because it is BAE. I live in a house of carnivores and during my ten days, my husband or I made dinners like steak tostado bowls, braised beef ribs, and naked chicken parm and there were pizza and Chinese delivered. It was hard but I didn’t succumb!
- Planning is key to my success – When I am on-site for work, I packed a cooler of my smoothies and snacks because office treats and a cafeteria that offers a deli, a grill, salad bar, and more would have been my downfall. There were danishes and cookies in the break area and I didn’t even care by day 5. I was focused!
- I love fruit! – After doing the South Beach Diet years ago (that dreaded Phase 1), I was so hesitant to eat a lot of fruit. Doing this challenge proves that you can eat fruit in moderation and lose weight. I forgot how much I love mangoes (like my youngest son) and pineapples.
- By Day 9, I was done with smoothies and was belligerent – Real talk: I legit wanted to drop kick the Nutribullet but I kept.going.on. I was just tired of not being able to eat what I wanted and the monotony. Even though the smoothies were different ingredients…they were still smoothies. I also wanted sushi badly which made me even more aggy.
- I need snacks to keep the beast at bay – Apples, PB2, eggs, celery sticks, carrots, and SquareBars were my friends the past ten days. There are snacks allowed on the plan and if I didn’t had these snacks, it would have been a SITUATION.
- I allowed myself to slow down – Stress was the straw that broke this camel’s back and by doing this cleanse, I made myself slow down. I read books. I disconnected from social media from time to time. I practiced self-care. I had fun with my family. Instead of working all the time, I decided enough was enough. I had neglected myself for months. Your health is PARAMOUNT and now I am putting my health first.
- Perhaps dairy, alcohol, and white breads/pastas/potatoes are NOT for me – This challenge helped me get rid of excess waste and toxins but cutting out dairy, alcohol, and white breads, pastas, and potatoes were the real key. And this pains me because I love cheese. Cheese and I are BFFs but if we can only hang out sporadically, I am ok with that.
- I am stronger than I think and support is key – My willpower is strong. The reason I took this challenge is because I was stressed out and my eating and drinking habits were absolute crap. However, I resisted all types of food temptation. Gone were my daily cups of coffee. My glass of wine. My craptacular snacking. My husband helped tremendously with making most of the dinners for the family. He also was the one that took the time to get all my goodies at the supermarket.
10. The next few days, I will be acclimating my body back to eating regularly. I will continue to “eat” a green smoothie a day. Today I am making the Fat Flush Soup but I also can eat salads and sautéed vegetables for my other meals. In four days I’ll be eating light and healthy. I am thankful for this lifestyle change…and yes I did lose 10+ pounds and many inches but most importantly gained the clarity and perspective that I AM WORTH IT. The picture on the left is from a work event. I was stressed out, bloated, not sleeping well, and spiritually/emotionally/physically depleted.
The picture on the right is from today. I am two day after the cleanse. I had my green smoothie and soup today as I will for Tuesday and Wednesday and then start eating healthy meals of protein and veggies and whole grains. My bust and stomach have gone considerably. My feet, fingers, and wrist aren’t retaining water. My skin is clear. My psyche has improved. I can’t wait for what’s to come!